Thursday, June 17, 2010

Faith Like a Child

When did we learn to lose faith?

Kids believe anything. They are very trusting. Part of that is because they tend to believe the best about people and it never crosses their minds that these giants who tower over them and control their lives could be selling them something other than the truth.

Santa Claus. The Easter Bunny. The Tooth Fairy. Honest Politicians.

Now I'm all for playing the game. I grew up believing in most of the above, and I can't remember when I found out it wasn't true. I do know that it wasn't scarring or earth shattering, so I'm not saying it's a bad thing. I do wonder though if it perhaps creates a subconscious predisposition to lose faith in the unseen. I mean, put yourself in a kids shoes. You put out milk and cookies and they disappear. Concrete, material gifts appear under the tree. Candy magically in a basket. The tooth that you are certain you were sleeping over, is mystically replaced with a shiny quarter (the Tooth Fairy rolled old school in my house, no greenbacks here).

But God. Well, we go to church on Sunday. We talk about Him a lot there. We like singing songs about Jesus and the Bible. But then we go home and no one talks about Him, we don't see anything He gives us. No evidence anywhere...

Then the fateful day we realize the presents, candy and quarters come from mom and dad. Hmm...if those characters aren't real then why would we think this imaginary guy in the sky who doesn't give me cool things makes any more sense?

This wasn't my experience, it might not be yours, but somewhere out there is a kid (maybe grown up now) who decided God wasn't real. And you know what? It wasn't because they believed in Santa. It's because they couldn't believe in a God their parents didn't believe in.
And before I let you off the hook Churchy Churcheson, know this: It matters more what you are doing (and not doing) at home where your kids ARE WATCHING, than whether you take them to church to meet your Sunday God. I'm not trying to be harsh. I'm trying to be real. I was that guy. Because it's not just the atheist's kid who grows up in a home where God doesn't exist. There are plenty of kids from "Christian" families whose home life looks exactly the same. In other words, they LEARN to lose faith.

So what then? If we really believe it, we must live it. Especially in front of our kids. I make it a point to let my kids see me reading the Bible. I pray with them at night before bed. I tell them about Jesus and try to help them learn to apply His principles in their still limited and tiny world. In short, I try to make sure they see that God is indeed real and that He is alive in ME. That's the evidence they need.


Disclaimer: I love Santa Claus!

0 comments:

Post a Comment