Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Knowledge vs. Experience

In the real world (as opposed to high school or college, or your mom's basement) I've noticed that very often people are just as concerned with your experience as they are with your knowledge. Just peruse the classifieds in a Sunday paper (yeah, I said paper, I'm ancient) and you will see that, more often than not, employers are looking for experience in a given field at least as often as study in that same field. Most of the time it looks like this: Qualified applicants must have a ____ degree and 2 (or 3 or 5) years experience in a related field. The point is this: High value is placed on both knowledge AND experience.

Anyone who is paying on school loans knows there is a high price to pay for education. But I think the price, though not monetary (well sometimes), for experience can be even greater. It's not just your dollars on the line. It can be your time, your reputation, your character, your relationships, or any number of things or combination of things that amount to much more risk, but with the chance of immeasurable gain.

It's like one of those MasterCard commercials.
Pencil-------------------------------------------------------------------$0.10
School books---------------------------------------------------------$1000.00
Cool clothes so the other kids don't make fun of you------$1200.00
Caffeine Fund--------------------------------------------------------$2500.00
Tuition-----------------------------------------------------------------$Eleventy Billion
Life Experience-------------------------------------------------------Priceless

All this to say, we certainly tend to think about the value of Knowledge and Experience in terms of schooling and employment. But lately I've been viewing it in another way: as it relates to God.

It's my observation that, all too often, people fall into one category or the other. Some know a lot about God, but fail to make the connection to really knowing God. Others love to experience God, but fail to come to an understanding of why they believe what they say they believe.

I feel that both types of people are in error, at best. And in danger, at worst.

1. Knowledge over Experience

The first person may have read the Bible cover to cover 10 times over. They might know all the prophecies of the minor prophets and be able to name them in reverse alphabetical order. They may be able to quote Jesus word for word and recognize the context in which every writer was assembling their letters. But if the knowledge never makes it from the head to the heart, what good does that do? There are many people that know much more than I do about the Bible that will spend eternity separated from God. Knowledge does not equal faith.

But it's not just the difference between head knowledge and a faith experience. Many people who are saved are also guilty of an inequity in the balance between knowledge and experience. I see this primarily in effectiveness. People, in general, don't care how much you know, but they will see if it affects how you live. I heard a great quote recently in regards to discipleship:
"You can teach what you know, but you reproduce who you are."
That's humbling to me. My witness of my experience with God (what He's done) is probably going to be more effective than what I've learned through study about Him (what I've done).

And if I'm not using my knowledge coupled with love to build up my brother or sister in Christ, then I'm subject to developing pride (1 Cor. 8:1) and amount to nothing (1 Cor. 13:2). Strong words!

2. Experience over Knowledge

If you say you believe, but don't know why, can you really believe? Now I'm not saying you have to know the intricacies of every doctrine to be saved, but there is an understanding that is necessary to faith. All too often it seems that people "go to church" for an experience. If all this amounts to is feeling good about oneself, what is the eternal benefit? Plenty of people go to church for an experience on Christmas or Easter. It doesn't mean they will spend eternity with God. Experience is also the grounds for grooming "good" people. Those who think that their actions merit salvation. In this case, a little knowledge goes a long way to dispelling that myth.

But as with the first example of knowledge over experience, there are those who are Christians that tip the scale too far in favor of experience. Those who think we don't have to know about God, only to know Him. To these I would say, "Faith like a child is not an excuse to be a baby Christian (check 1 Corinthians 14:20)." Scripture abounds with references to gaining knowledge. A read through Proverbs and you will trip all over these references (Prov. 1:7; 2:1-5; 8:10; 9:10; 10:14; 12:1; 15:2,14; 18:15; 19:2) I especially love this one:
"Gold there is, and rubies in abundance, but lips that speak knowledge are a rare jewel." Proverbs 20:15
Do you see the high value placed on knowledge? And it's not just Proverbs. Paul's prayer for the Phillipians (1:9-10)was that their love would grow in knowledge and insight. True love, not mere sentiment, is rooted in knowledge and understanding. And who can forget his charge to Timothy?
"Be diligent to present yourself approved to God as a workman who does not need to be ashamed, accurately handling the word of truth." 2 Tim. 2:15
In light of all this, I'd like to present the third, and rarest category...

3. Knowledge + Experience


These are the people that follow the Scriptures in the command to gain knowledge, but they also temper it with love, and put feet to their faith. These are the people that love to learn and learn to love. These are the people that spend just as much time on their knees talking and listening to God, as they do at their desks poring over his written Word. These are the people that take what they know and use it to show others Who they know.

Lord, Help us to be people who love to study Your Word and who love to be with You. To be people who long to understand who You are and love to celebrate who You are. And help us to be people who thirst for knowledge and burn with the desire to share it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome post man. I think its cool that we are both striving towards the same goal even though we still see things a little different at this moment in time. I am so thankful to God for a brother in Christ who is at least willing and able to think over these things. Most people are okay with not understanding EVERYTHING in the bible, which, sadly, often creates a heart that is unwilling to put the hard work in to gain knowledge of ANYTHING in the bible.

One verse popped out in my mind as I read your post. 1 Peter 3:15 "but in your hearts honor Christ the Lord as holy, always being prepared to make a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you; yet do it with gentleness and respect."

I am so grateful for our discussions so far, I feel that they are indispensable, with regards to my Christian growth, and truly feel that we are, as scripture states, iron sharpening iron. With this there is always the danger of drifting off into intellectual realm, where love is absent from everything. This is the fine balancing act we all must take part in. By God's grace and power, I believe He will guide us and keep us straddling that fence, as well as, "keep [us] from stumbling and to present [us] blameless before the presence of his glory with great joy"! (Jude 24).

Mike Yusko said...

How about these great thoughts from Tozer:

The Secret of Life is Theological

"Whatever keeps me from the Bible is my enemy, however harmless it may appear to be. Whatever engages my attention when I should be meditating on God and things eternal does injury to my soul. Let the cares of life crowd out the Scriptures from my mind and I have suffered loss where I can least afford it. Let me accept anything else instead of the Scriptures and I have been cheated and robbed to my eternal confusion. The secret of life is theological and the key to heaven as well. We learn with difficulty, forget easily and suffer many distractions. Therefore we should set our hearts to study theology. We should preach it from our pulpits, sing it in our hymns, teach it to our children and make it the subject of conversation when we meet with Christian friends."
-A.W. Tozer

Anonymous said...

Amen, man! Glad I came over from Bryan Allain's blog. These days, the popular error is experience over knowledge, I think. That's why you have a lot of postmoderns who doubt what anyone says, simply because they haven't experienced it for themselves.

Mike Yusko said...

I completely agree! I was just talking about this again tonight in our young adults group. A relatively deep theological question was raised and a few people expressed their opinion that it didn't really matter that much and that we scrutinize the Bible too much. I said that while some don't have as big a taste for the deeper things, that it did, in fact, matter. We never want it to be theology for theology's sake, to the detriment of living out an active faith, but striving to know and understand as much as possible about God;s Word can never be a bad thing. As long as it doesn't turn into Christian "in-fighting".

Glad to have you stop by Matt. I read your blog all the time. In fact you have one of my favorite recent quotes: "If we can learn anything, it’s that God, given limited choices, will even use a complete wang like John Calvin." Loved that whole post!

Post a Comment